Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Being Asexual in a Hypersexualized World

content: lengthy discussion of sex

Let's face it, we live in a world that's obsessed with sex.  We hear about it all the time, in books, movies, TV, etc.  We hear jokes about sex and we hear sexual innuendo.

But being a homoromantic asexual, I don't find it to be appealing at all.  I mean, what's the big deal about sex?  It may feel good to some, but if you experience little or no sexual attraction, you don't really get the humor, so you might feel like you're out of the loop (at least, that's how I feel.)

When I was a teenager and when I was in my early 20s, it seemed like all that people around me were talking about was sex.  I tried to join in their conversations and laugh at their jokes, but to be honest, it always made me uncomfortable.  I've never liked the idea of being sexually intimate with anyone.

This doesn't mean that I don't want to be loved, however.  I'm romantically attracted to women, not sexually.  I find them aesthetically and romantically attractive, but I don't want t have sex with them.  Sexual, romantic and aesthetic attraction are all different.

I want to meet other women, but I'm kind of leery of bars and other places like that because those are usually hookup spots, and I don't want to have sex with anyone.

Maybe it's also because I'm Autistic and was raised in a very Christian household, but I cherish the idea of romance without the sex.  I also understand that there also asexual and aromantic people, meaning that they're not sexually or romantically attracted to anyone, which is fine too.

It's tough being asexual in a hypersexualized world, but I know that God will find the right person for me.  I just have to have faith and persevere.

Okay, rambling over.  Later gators!

No comments:

Post a Comment